Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Which Vacuum Cleaner Should I Buy?

It has occurred to me several times the irony of most vacuum sales people are men (don't know the statistics, just my observations) and most vacuums are used by women (before the men yell at me, yes, I know a lot of men vacuum; again, my observations of selling vacuums, more to women than men).  There appears to be a disconnect here!

Before I met my husband, I had my heart set on a certain brand of vacuum cleaner that I was saving my money for.  Yes, I bought into the wonderful advertising genius of said vacuum.  After I met Steve, he educated me as to why that would be a bad decision.  He was right.  For me, bagless is not the way to go.  I have allergies, pretty severe at times, and don't need the dust in my face that using a bagless vacuum gives you.  But this is where the disconnect comes in.  What you like, what is a good vacuum, what will last, all factors that need to be considered.  Steve, (my husband, the vacuum guy) agrees.  If you don't like your vacuum, you won't use it.  The following are my observations, suggestions when choosing a vacuum.

1.  Ask for recommendations from friends.  Not only what they bought, but where they bought.  Ask what they do and do not like about their vacuum.

2.  Think about how you use your vacuum and what you do and do not like about your current or last vacuum.  Do you use it just on carpet?  Do you use your vacuum on tile, wood floors, laminate?  Do you use the attachments at all?  every time you vacuum?  Do you have pets?  Who uses the vacuum?  Is it for your home?  a business?

3.  Go to a shop where you can try out the vacuums.  If this is not possible, call an online retailer.   Make sure that the person you are talking to knows about the vacuum.  They need to have had the vacuum in their hands, know about the repair history, know about how it operates and how it lasts.   This is crucial so that you know what you like.  Tell them what you want/need and ask their opinion.  If they don't listen to you, leave quietly.  If they make recommendations, listen to why that one is recommended.  If you like the vacuum, like the sales person, it is convenient to where you work, live or shop, BUY.  If not, find a vacuum shop that is. 

4.  A vacuum cleaner is an investment.  It is an investment in your home:  keeping your wood, tile and carpet clean helps them last.  It is an investment in your health:  keeping your home clean can help your family be healthy.  It is an investment in the environment if you buy a vacuum that is made to last and do not buy a vacuum that you throw into the land fill every one, two, three years.  High end vacuums are made to last 20 years.  When you spread the amount over 20 years it doesn't sound so bad.

So, upright, canister, bagged, bagless, red, black, self propelled, lightweight, attachments on board,  it all depends on you, how you use it and what you are trying to clean.   So if you ask me what is the best vacuum?  "It depends."  (on all of the above)

If you want to buy from us:  

Shop online at www.vacshack.com 
405-491-9500
In the Oklahoma City area shop 12409 N Rockwell
Chandler, OK  914 Manvel Avenue
www.acleanerplace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment