Monday, June 21, 2010

Basil Pesto

Last year I had so much basil I didn't know what to do with it. I wanted to try Basil Pesto but couldn't remember to buy pine nuts. Then through the wonders of the internet I found a Basil Pesto that used sunflower seeds. I had those! So, I made, I loved, I served with Pasta and will definitely make it again.

4 cups fresh basil leaves chopped
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds

Directions:
Pour all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until mixture becomes a paste. Put mixture in bowl and work in sunflower seeds. Cover tightly and refrigerate for future use. This can be spread on bruchetta, used on pasta (thoroughly mix it in with freshly cooked homemade noodles) or any number of other applications. Should stay good in the refrigerator for 1 - 2 weeks.


I love my herb garden. I am currently drying lavender flowers and mugwort and plan to use them to make dryer sachets and dream pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment